The value of mapping and the new media

Just as you think you have a presentation completed, more information comes to light...

Earlier in the year, I attended an Advanced Google Earth day at the RGS-IBG: I blogged about it over at the Google Earth User Guide Blog. I then read a comment on a post on Ewan McIntosh's blog relating to new social media. The comment was by Jamie Buchanan Dunlop

I think that youth disenchantment with mainstream media is a good starting point. It is not disenchantment with the media, but more the commentators that is the problem. The young people, whom I have had the pleasure of teaching, are more likely to value the views of a peer rather than a politician.

The current citizenship (and GEOGRAPHY Jamie...) curriculum in England should provide pupils with the skills and values needed to investigate the world and become involved. Technology then becomes an enabler for communication between different parties, a motivator as it's oftern fun and an oppportinity to involve wider audiences.

I think that video is not as exciting as mapping as a tool for active citizenship. Of course digital maps can contain video, but maps provide a template for investigating issues and laying out the plans to solve them.

This led me to Jamie's DIGITAL EXPLORER site

Read THIS POST first...

So I now have a new perspective and narrative to explore relating to the use of new media.

Comments