Salzburg digitalearth course - 1 of 5

First of 5 posts summing up the experience of working in Salzburg for three days with colleagues on a digitalearth course.
I travelled out from Stansted airport to Salzburg. On arrival, I caught two buses, and started to reacquaint myself with the city after my previous visit for a digitalearth meeting.
I checked into the Via Roma hotel, which is recommended if you should ever find yourself in the city.
I then walked into the city in the evening as I'd been told there was a festival on: St. Rupert is the patron saint of the city, so there were stalls in all the market squares, bands, women in traditional dress, and a fun time was being had by all. I had a wander and some local ale: the Stiegl is recommended.

I then worked late into the night on my presentations and collating various online support materials which were on the course MOODLE and also in a special DROPBOX.

The following day: a Sunday, I spent most of the day trialling some apps, and setting up a Mission:Explore style set of challenges for the teachers. The original plan was to use GPS handsets, but we decided against that in the end, as a lot of folks had their own mobile devices, and also we went up the Alps - but more of that later...
I wandered through the markets, through the Mirabell Gardens etc, and the Old Town.

In the evening, we had a meal booked at the hotel to meet the teachers who we were going to spend the next week with. Had some ale and pizza and chatted. Some interesting stories beginning to emerge, and left me feeling a bit nervous that I could provide enough sustained interest for three days of the course.
I shall blog a little more about each of the days in the forthcoming posts...





Comments