Chasing Ice...

Chasing Ice is a film I've been following the progress of for several months now. There was an early trailer which I blogged about, and the story of the film is interesting. A series of cameras were placed in remote locations overlooking areas of ice, and the time-lapse footage they captured shows the rapid rate at which some of the world's ice masses are disappearing. It all started in Iceland...

The filmmakers travelled all over the world and left the cameras secured in some of the world's harshest environments. The cameras were left in place for 3 years, with a picture taken every hour during the hours of daylight. It also seems that it has been shortlisted for an Oscar.
I'm going to try to get tickets for the showing at the Cambridge Arts Cinema. I used to go to the cinema often when I was younger, as I was a real film buff through my twenties and thirties... I mostly get to see cartoons these days...

You can download some useful STILLS for use in the classroom too....
Watch a trailer for the film below to get a taster:


Chasing Ice Trailer from milkhaus on Vimeo.

I may have a go at producing some teacher resources to go along with the film. I can see that there would be a benefit in putting on special education showings of the film which had a pack of materials for teachers to take away. There may be an option to contact your local cinema and suggest this, particularly if there are small independent cinemas within your home town.

I previously worked with a film company to produce a set of educational materials for a film produced by Werner Herzog in Antarctica.
The film was called "Encounters at the End of the World" 
Encounters at the End of the World - PDF Download of materials from the GA website

Comments