SAGT 1 of 10: Glasgow and Gabriel

This is the first of 10 posts summing up my trip to the SAGT conference at the North Inch Community Campus in Perth.
I've been heading up to SAGT since 2005, but this trip was extra special.
As part of the conference, I was presented with the Joy Tivy Education Medal and an honorary fellowship of the Royal Scottish Geographical Society by Professor Iain Stewart.
More on that in a future post.

The journey up was very smooth. A very early booking of tickets meant a bargain first class seat, and although I risked 'getting used to it' as Bob Digby said it was nice to be served with food and drinks and drink a chilled ale while watching the Northumberland coast go by.

On arrival at Edinburgh, I caught the connecting train to Glasgow - cup of tea and shortcake while crossing to Queen Street, from where I walked to the hotel where I was staying, which had an excellent wide ranging view over the western side of the city.

It was a glorious evening and sunset, and wandered along the Clyde. A previous time I'd been here was for the SAGT conference, and spent a very chilly evening taking pictures with Noel Jenkins. This time round, it was warmer and I wandered and had some food and very nice Innis and Gunn ale in a nearby bar. I then made my way over to the Hydro. A few of the pictures I took below:



The Hydro is a new venue.
It will host the gymnastics for the Commonwealth Games, which will take place in 2014. It was lit up from the outside. Got my seat and after a wait, and support, it was Peter Gabriel.
I saw him live in 1987 for the 'So' tour, and this was a tour to celebrate that album 25 years on with a full run through of the album, plus some very special other songs...
It was a great evening, and a great way to start a special Scottish weekend...

Comments