Going underground...

I'm preparing to develop the topic of caving, with a look at the TITAN cave, and other subterranean locations.

Download the guide to the cave HERE (PDF download)

Be aware of the main elements of a cave system, and how they develop over time.

How does the cave form ?
What is calcite ?
What are the world's deepest, largest or longest cave systems ?

Check out the crystal cave visited by Iain Stewart in this BBC clip.

I shared stories of how my grandfather was a coal miner and sometimes worked almost naked because of the heat underground...

We used John Widdowson's 'This is Geography' book to supplement this with an exploration of the Yorkshire Dales, using Val Vannet's Flickr SAGT set of photos.

Also remember the Craven Pothole Club's bosun's chair descent on August bank holiday....

Comments

Noel J said…
Obviously you know about Robbie Shone's photos of the shaft.
A couple of years ago Caving Supplies rang up the school asking if I still needed 400m of rope and SRT kit that the students had kindly ordered online on my behalf!
Alan Parkinson said…
Hi Noel
I think we have that on some resources that my colleagues created.

Good to see that your students have a sense of humour, as well as making sustained progress...

Enjoying studying the topic...