GA Conference - some things I'm hoping to see....

The GA Conference is happening during the Easter holiday, which means that it's getting closer by the day as the holiday draws nearer.

I've had a good look at the conference programme, which is available on the GA website (and was also sent out in recent journals for those who subscribe) and there's plenty of sessions that I am going to be involved in, and am also hoping to get to see.
I serve on the GA's Secondary Committee.
We've created a list of suggestions for first time visitors to the conference , which is on the GA website.
I'm going to be quite busy for a lot of the time in a meeting of the I-USE project.
CHECK OUT THE PROJECT WEBSITE TO SEE WHAT WE'RE UP TO....

Monday night
Driving over to Guildford and checking in to my hotel and meeting colleagues on the I-USE project. I'll be arriving during the day sometime.
Public Lecture by Professor Iain Stewart - last time I saw him was the SAGT conference.
Awards Presentation - my colleagues will be collecting their Centre of Excellence certificate.
Wine Reception
A few beers and conversation...

Tuesday 15th April

I-Use Meeting takes place during the day. This involves an exploration of the next stage of the project: a teacher training course. We'll be spending a lot of time working on various dissemination tasks too.

Back at the conference venue at the University, there is also the new Idea Zone, which is offering a range of activities, including the chance to take part in some special Mission:Explore missions and say hi to Dan Raven Ellison, and also the Follow the Things Lego recreations department and Top Trumps challenge.

This means I'll miss quite a few sessions I would otherwise have gone to, such as Paula Owens and John Lyon talking about Global Learning programme, Richard Treves on Google Earth Tours and Prezi, or David Rogers on the new curriculum, Andy Knill on apps and Jason Sawle on GIS, Andrew Lee on 'thinking like a geographer'.

There are also other sessions offered by SPC colleagues, such as Victoria Ellis and Rebecca Kitchen's session 'Moving on Up' and Rachel Kay's 'Mark my Words' session.

BeerMeet in the evening will provide a chance to 'network' with lots of other geographers, and also

See the poster below - feel free to use to let others know of this opportunity to think global at someone's local...


Wednesday 16th April

The first session of the day involves the GA Secondary Phase Committee - this unfortunately clashes with the I-USE session that I am also potentially involved with, but if there's no space in the SPC meeting you may want to head over there.
Come along and see us in Workshop 33

Margaret Roberts' session on Enquiry will no doubt draw lots of people first thing on Monday, in fact I'd be in it under any other circumstances.
Sadly, it clashes with our sessions and also the I-USE one, along with David Lambert's session on GeoCapabilities. 

I shall be catching up with a few people while over at the Conference venue, including former GA colleagues.

At the end of the day, I shall then be driving back home from Guildford

There is still a chance to attend if you ring or e-mail Lucy Oxley at the GA in the next few days.

If you see me, say hello !

Comments