Geography Teacher Educators' Conference - 2nd day

From last weekend - apologies for the delay in posting

After a good sleep, and waking to a car covered with snow, we had the main day of the GTE Conference.

There were 15 sessions, ranging from 20 minutes to one hour long.

By the end, my head was full of new ideas, which were connected to the ideas of knowledge, the ITE curriculum, and other areas.
I'd heard educators from many EU countries sharing their research and work with us, and also ask us some serious questions.

Some highlights for me were:

- Gemma Collins talking about the idea of 'stuck places' and threshold concepts - I'd heard about this at a seminar I attended at the Institute of Education a few months previously
- Nicola Walshe sharing some work from Homerton College students using GIS
- Justin Woolliscroft giving a very clear run through of being inspected under the new OFSTED framework
- an energetic presentation on the I-USE project by Luc Zwartjes, which highlighted the importance of statistics in education.


In the break, I went into Oxford to see the Pitt Rivers museum, and it was rather superb...

Back to the conference venue for the final session, and some more sessions.

It was then time for the evening meal and some drinks, and networking. Plenty of interesting chats about the past, present and future of teacher education.

Comments