2016 - a look ahead...

Before I take the annual Christmas blogging break, a few things to look out for in 2016 that are already pencilled into my calendar...

GI-Learner - we don't have a website just yet, but will let you know when that happens.
This project involves my school, and three others, in Austria, Belgium and Romania. I am currently doing some research for the first stage of the project. I'll be heading to Salzburg again in July for a conference, and also hosting a meeting at my school in February - which reminds me that I need to get a few things sorted… I'll be working on this, with some more time spent on it from the middle of the year onwards.

GA Conference 2016 - this has been moved to Manchester, which is not my favourite location for the conference, but there is plenty planned.
I am going to be doing a lecture related to a major resource that I wrote for CILT - this is being launched at the conference, and will contain eight fully resourced lessons relating to transport and logistics. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.

There'll also be a special geographical version of the game-show Only Connect (linking with the theme of the conference) which I shall be presenting in true Victoria Coren-Mitchell style. This will take place on the Saturday afternoon, and will involve versions of all the usual rounds. I've found a useful site called PuzzGrid where you can create your own versions of the connecting wall rounds, and am just starting to compile some fiendish other rounds - hopefully they'll be a little easier than the TV version.

We are also organising an event for new and aspiring Heads of Geography, to share ideas and get together over a glass of wine in an event which we're calling Geography Grapevine. The very fine Tom Morgan-Jones has done an inking for us… more details to come.

Also at the GA Conference, we're expecting to see the first copies of books that I've been writing and editing for Hodder and Cambridge University Press.

I'm going to be involved in the Beermeet and the Teachmeet as well.
Book by the 6th of January for early-bird rates. Free entry for PGCE colleagues as well.

GeoCapabilities - Will continue to be involved in this project, working on behalf of the Institute of Education. We are now in the final phases of the project which means we are finalising our online teacher training materials. We will be leading sessions at a number of events including the AAG.

British Red Cross - I am going to be writing a major new resource for the British Red Cross - this will be a natural disasters toolkit which will have a focus on specific events and provide a whole range of activities and ideas for teaching about natural disasters.

I'll also be working with a number of schools, visiting several Universities to work with their PGCE students, and helping to moderate Primary and Secondary Geography Quality Mark applications for the GA.

I'm also going to be teaching the topic of Health for the first time in a while to Year 12 students, so am currently collating materials, as well as writing some KS2 Schemes and materials. Also organising a Norfolk fieldtrip for CA, and will be heading for Snowdonia and the RGS with Y12.

I'll also planning on attending a TedX event, finalising my school's portfolio of evidence for Primary Quality Mark and heading for various European destinations for work, completing teacher materials to go along with the books I'm writing…. and other projects that I don't yet know about. Get in touch if you fancy working with me on something...

Plus I'll be teaching a full timetable at King's Ely…. 
But first, a glass of something red…

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year everyone….

Comments