Edward Thomas country...

You will know if you are are a regular reader of LivingGeography that I am very much into writers on landscape and place, particularly where they go deep and immerse themselves in it...

My GeoLibrary project has hundreds of landscape-related books on the shelves.

I've  got hundreds of books on this theme on my actual shelves, and more are added every month, and others taken out of the library. 2016 has been a bumper book-buying year so far it seems.
One of my favourite authors is George Mackay Brown, and I have a whole shelf of virtually all his books, and remember fondly being in bed one night many years ago and my late colleague Tim Steer rang up from Stromness to say that he'd just come back from a night fishing trip hauling lobster pots, in a scene that could have come straight out of one of George's books, to tell me that he'd found me copies of George's books that I'd been after...

One of the other authors on my list is Edward Thomas, and I have a copy of the Little Toller edition of his 'South Country' book, describing his home area, which was published posthumously.
I discovered while visiting Bedales School last week that I was in Steep where Edward Thomas lived, and about which he wrote. There was a little guide to the local area which I was able to download, but actually discovered that I was close to his house. I went up to the Shoulder of Mutton to find a memorial stone, and also a church where there are some memorial windows.
Edward Thomas wrote poetry and other prose in the run up to, and during the First World War period, and was killed at the Battle of Arras.

Here are a few pictures of my walk around the area, including the interpretive sign that led me to some of the sights.

Comments