2016 review

Just about to head into the Christmas blogging break for a week or so, but first the annual look back and forward.

This has been a year that I think a lot of people want to forget for different reasons, but was also one that had its fair share of interest geographically and professionally.

This was the first time that I had completed a full year of full time teaching since 2007, as I left part way through 2008 to join the GA, and have since completed a return to full time due to various circumstances. I've just completed my CPD log for my Chartered Geographer status which reminded me of some of what I'd done this year, which has been a difficult one at times, and that I did perhaps have some successes and made a difference in my own way.
These have included:
  • leading CPD sessions in Hull, Manchester, and at my own school
  • provided a range of extra-curricular opportunities for students at King's Ely including:  fieldtrips to Snowdonia and Norfolk coast, RGS Study Day, Hodder conference, guest speakers, and other events
  • welcoming Benjamin Hennig to do a lecture at the end of a GIS Day, which also included Jason Sawle from ESRI, Darren Bailey from the Ordnance Survey, and Paul Turner, as part of the GI Learner project.
  • leading a workshop at the GI Forum in Salzburg
  • working with Turkish teachers for a week in the 40 degree heat of a Portuguese summer
  • connecting with Professor Shailey Minocha to explore Google Expeditions, and the use of VR in teaching
  • standing in at late notice to MC the Teachmeet at the Royal Geographical Society
  • seeing the publication of Mission:Explore National Parks
  • finally seeing the publication of the CUP 'A' level book I edited and co-wrote
  • finally seeing the publication of the two books and associated materials for OCR 'A' and 'B' published by Hodder
  • helped to produce an online CPD course as part of the GeoCapabilities project
  • wrote resource for British Red Cross on Nepal Earthquake, which I also used with my own students
  • publication of resource with CILT for Geographical Association, and workshop and lecture at GA Conference (along with my Only GeoConnect session)
  • moderated applications for PGQM and SGQM
  • moderated BAC student work at Bedales School
  • served on GA Secondary Phase committee and became secretary
  • attended, and presented at, Practical Pedagogies in Toulouse
I'm also about to head into my 74th term, which means at the end of this year I will have completed a quarter century in the classroom. Will also be 30 years since I completed my PGCE, and 10 years as a Chartered Geographer.

Here's a word cloud of some of the things that are already pencilled in for 2017..... along with a whole lot of blogging as well, including my new Geography Vademecum project.
You'll be able to read all about them on here of course, as you have been for the last 8 years...



Comments